Liberty-Eylau ISD is set to host a series of community meetings regarding the upcoming bond election.
Meetings will be
- Monday (4/11)-6:00 PM at Liberty-Eylau Primary School
- Tuesday (4/12) -6:00 PM at Buchanan First Baptist Church
- Tuesday (4/19)-6:00 PM St. Paul Baptist Church
- Thursday- (4/21)-6:00 PM LEISD Admin Building
In February the School Board called for 2 propositions in a bond election.
PROPOSITION 1 totals $19.9 Million. This proposition includes the following proposals.
1) Build 6 new classrooms on the Pre-K campus. These 6 classrooms, with the currently empty 6 classrooms on that campus will allow the Kindergarten classes to move to this campus. The proposal includes funding for building and site development including parking and pick up/drop off. ($1.7 Million)
2) Convert the Primary campus into a 1-4 campus. Liberty-Eylau Primary will be mostly new construction with the exception of renovations to the current cafeteria and 1st grade academic building. New academic classrooms, library, music room, and a gymnasium with seating for 600 will be constructed. The façade and stone from the rock building will be used to create a façade on the new building using the stone and shape of the current historical building. The C. K. Bender campus will be closed. This will lead to an estimated annual cost savings of an $430,000. ($15.3 Million)
3) Put a new roof on the Middle School campus. This will be a vinyl roof product with a 20 year parts and labor warranty. ($450,000)
4) Expand the CTE building on the High School campus. This CTE expansion would include a new culinary arts classroom/lab as well as more CTE classrooms. This expansion is designed to fit with the overall strategic plan for the high school and future campus developments. ($1.2 Million)
5) Replace HVAC throughout the district. LEISD has 368 HVAC units. 197 of those units are older than 15 years. 155 of those are over 20 years old. ($750,000)
PROPOSITION 2 totals $985,000. This proposition includes upgrades to Harris Field including a turf field surface, a new track surface, and upgrades to concession and restroom facilities.
LEISD’s current combined tax rate is $1.26 per $100 valuation. Proposition 1 would require a $0.10 tax increase. Proposition 2 would require a $0.01 increase.
Early voting for the election will be April 25-May 3. Election Day is May 7. All voting will occur at the LEISD administration building. 2901 Leopard Drive. Texarkana, TX. More information regarding the bond along with conceptual drawings and plans can be found at www.leisd.net