Longview men plead guilty to Daingerfield Bank Robbery


MARSHALL, Texas – Two Longview, Texas men have pleaded guilty to their involvement in a Daingerfield Bank Robbery announced U.S. Attorney John M. Bales today.

Latarious Martez Hughes, 21, and Kenneth Duane Hooks, 23, both pleaded guilty today in U.S. Magistrate Roy Payne’s court to their involvement in the armed bank robbery of the 1st National Bank of Hughes Springs, Daingerfield Branch on February 27, 2015. A federal grand jury indicted the two men for robbery on March 18, 2015.

Hughes admitted that he entered the bank with a bandana over his face, brandished a pistol, and pointed the pistol at one of the tellers. Hughes then handed a mesh bag to the teller and instructed her to put money in the bag. The teller complied and put $53,654.00 in the bag and returned the bag to Hughes. Hughes then fled the bank, with the cash, on foot.

Hooks admitted that, following the bank robbery, he drove Hughes, in Hooks’ vehicle, from Daingerfield to Hooks’ residence in Longview, Texas, where the pair were residing together. At approximately 1:30 p.m. that afternoon, F.B.I. agents arrived at Hooks’ residence. The agents advised Hooks of the bank robbery and questioned him about it. Hooks denied that he had been in Daingerfield on the day of the robbery, which was false. Hooks claimed that he had traveled to Mount Pleasant, Texas on the morning of the robbery, which was also false. Hooks further claimed that he had not seen Hughes on the morning of the bank robbery, which was also false. Hooks admitted that he made the false statements to the F.B.I. to assist Hughes in order to hinder or prevent Hughes’ apprehension.

All but $7,566.00 of the stolen cash was recovered from Hughes and Hooks’ residence. Both men will be required to repay the missing $7,566.00 to the bank.

Hughes is facing up to twenty-five years in prison and a $250,000.00 fine. Hooks is facing up to twelve and one half years in prison and a $125,000.00 fine. A sentencing date for the pair has not been set.

This case was investigated by the Daingerfield Police Department, the Longview Police Department, and the F.B.I., Texarkana Office, and prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Jim Noble.

Previous articleFederal indictment accuses Texarkana man of counterfeiting, other defendants not yet identified
Next articleElderly defendant set for February child pornography trial