The national small business movement, Independent We Stand, announces the quarterfinalists, including Main Street Texarkana, in the 2018 “America’s Main Streets” contest. As the lifeblood of our cities and towns, Main Streets play an important role in the long-term success of communities and help build a sense of place. Independent We Stand invites the public to vote for their favorite quarterfinalist and move a deserving Main Street one step closer to the grand prize of $25,000.
Texarkana Arts & Historic committee member Lisa Thompson, along with several other community members, nominated Main Street Texarkana for this award.
“The Arts & Historic committee has been working hard for the past five years to collectively market downtown Texarkana, and this contest is yet another way that we can come together and show the rest of the nation how powerful our twin city can be,” Thompson said. “We hope supporters for both Texarkana, Arkansas and Texas can come together and vote for Texarkana, USA to be twice as nice. We need everyone to vote, vote, vote!”
“We are in our third year of the contest and are so happy to see the passion and pride these nominees have for their Main Streets and the local businesses that keep them alive. Now it’s time for consumers to show their support and vote again to move their favorites into the semifinals,” explains Independent We Stand co-founder Bill Brunelle. “Our theme this year is ‘Local Memories. Lasting Impact.’ and this group is a terrific example of the unique experiences and economic benefits shopping local can have on a community.”
More than 117,000 total votes were cast for 303 entrants during the nominations phase. The 2018 quarterfinalists in alphabetical order are:
- Belleville Main Street, Belleville, Ill.
- Benicia Main Street, Benicia, Calif.
- Bridge Street Ashtabula, Ashtabula, Ohio
- Cedar Lee, Cleveland Heights, Ohio
- Clarence Main Street, Clarence, Iowa
- Collierville, TN, Collierville, Tenn.
- Congress Street, York, S.C.
- Downtown Great Falls, Great Falls, Mont.
- Downtown Jacksonville, Jacksonville, Ill.
- Downtown Jeffersonville, Jeffersonville, Ind.
- Downtown Rochester, Rochester, Mich.
- Downtown Smithfield, Smithfield, N.C.
- Downtown Statesville, Statesville, N.C.
- Downtown Tupelo Main Street, Tupelo, Miss.
- East Troy, WI, East Troy, Wis.
- Edenton, North Carolina, Edenton, N.C.
- Fulton Street, Fresno, Calif.
- Hillsboro Main Street, Hillsboro, Texas
- Logansport, Indiana, Logansport, Ind.
- Lost Nation Main Street, Lost Nation, Iowa
- Main Street Covington, Covington, Ga.
- Main Street Hayward, Hayward, Wis.
- Main Street Texarkana, Texarkana, Texas
- Market Street Mt. Carmel, Mount Carmel, Ill.
- New London, New London, Minn.
Semifinalist voting begins April 30 10am EST at MainStreetContest.com and runs through May 27.
The top 10 semifinalists will be announced May 28. The winner of the 2018 “America’s Main Streets” contest will be announced June 4 followed by a “Main Streets Make Us Better” celebration on the Fourth of July, when the winner will announce how the prize money will be utilized.
Contest prizes include:
- $25,000 grand prize
- STIHL Equipment Certificate for $1,000 worth of STIHL equipment good at any STIHL dealer in the U.S.
- Do it Best Corp. $500 shopping spree
- PPG Paints $500 shopping spree
- Public relations and social media recognition
- Special plaque for winner to proudly display
To vote for “America’s Main Streets” semifinalists, visit MainStreetContest.com.
STIHL Inc., America’s number-one selling brand of gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment, is the founding sponsor of Independent We Stand and the presenting sponsor of America’s Main Streets contest. The company follows a unique distribution strategy in the handheld outdoor power equipment industry, choosing never to sell products at big box stores, but instead remaining loyal to its 9,000+ independent servicing dealers nationwide.
About Independent We Stand
Independent We Stand is a nationwide movement of independent small business owners whose mission is to inspire other small business owners to better understand and celebrate their locally-owned status while educating consumers about the importance and strong economic benefits of supporting them. The Independent We Stand movement is sponsored by STIHL Inc. STIHL products are sold through more than 9,000 servicing power equipment retailers from coast to coast – not big box stores. Associate sponsors include PPG Paints and Do it Best Corp.