Texarkana Independent School District will host a Dedication Ceremony on the renaming of their Academic Learning Center to the Goree Academic Learning Center. The event will be Saturday, December 17 at 3:30 p.m. at 3201 Lincoln Avenue.
The facility, which previously housed the OPTIONS Academic Alternative High School and Bowie-Cass Adult Education & Family Literacy Program, is now home to TISD’s Secondary Disciplinary Alternative Education Program (SDAEP). With the transition of program locations, community members recommended a renaming of the campus in honor of the facility’s original name – Harrison G. Goree Elementary School.
The Harrison G. Goree Elementary School was opened on January 2, 1962 and contained 12 classrooms, an office, clinic, workroom, cafeteria and maintenance room. All grade levels that were originally in the New Town School, moved to the new location at that time.
In 1912, Harrison G. Goree came to Texarkana, Texas from Atlanta Texas. He had been elected principal of Sunset Elementary School. Goree later started the New Town School with permission of the School Board under Superintendent Uriah Carpenter. Mr. Goree resigned his position in 1916 and was succeeded by his son, Virgil G. Goree as principal in 1916. In September 1927, William H. Goree was elected Principal and served until his death in 1948. W.K. Hicks succeeded W.H. Goree followed by E.P. Pierre in 1959. It was during Principal Pierre’s leadership that the new facility was built and administration changed the name to the Harrison G. Goree Elementary School.
The dedication is open to the public. All are welcomed to attend.