Two men were recently arrested on theft charges for allegedly stealing over $10,000 by manipulating ATM machines.
Arrest warrants were issued for Deaundra Erwin Mitchell and Demorrio Deontae Davis for theft of over $1,500 but less than $20,000 from Red River Federal Credit Union.
According to a probable cause affidavit and complaint that was used to create the following account, on November 17th, 2014 Mitchell and Davis opened up a checking account at Red River Federal Credit Union.
The complaint alleges the two men were able to manipulate the ATM with a foreign device in the cash dispensing channel and cause the machine to think that it did not dispense any money when in fact it actually did. Since the machine did not think it dispensed any money the account would be credited back the money that was actually dispensed.
According to the complaint the two men allegedly continued the manipulate of the ATM machines until December 5, 2014 when Red River employees audited the ATMs and discovered the irregular cash shortage. Mitchell and Davis also appear on bank security video the complaint alleges.
According to the complaint Davis manipulated the machines into fraudulently dispensing $2750 and Mitchell $8895
The complaint lists the following transactions that Mitchell made at multiple Red River branches.
- “On November 26th 2014 at 8:28am Mitchell made a cash deposit of $205.00 into his account at the RRFCU Branch on Summerhill Rd. At 8:38am, the same day, Mitchell went to the automated teller machine (ATM) located at 2424 New Boston Rd in Texarkana Texas and made a $200.00 cash withdrawal from his account.”
- “At 8:40 a.m. Mitchell made a second $200 withdrawal but the ATM sensed that it withdrew money and debited Mitchell’s account.
- “At 8:51am Mitchell made a $400.00 cash deposit at the RRFCU on Texas Blvd. At 9:34am Mitchell made a $400.00 cash withdrawal and the ATM sensed that the money was actually dispensed at the RRFCU on Walton Drive.”
- “At 6:52pm Mitchell made a $90.00 cash deposit at the RRFCU inside Central Mall.”
- “At 7:03pm Mitchell made a $90.00 withdrawal at an ATM and the ATM sensed that the money was dispensed and Mitchell~s account was debited.”
- “At 7:12pm Mitchell made a $90.00 cash deposit at the RRFCU inside Central Mall.”
- “At 7:22pm Mitchell made a $90.00 withdrawal from the RRFCU ATM located at 2424 New Boston Rd. in Texarkana Texas. He was able to successfully manipulate the ATM into thinking no money was dispensed
- At 7:25pm Mitchell made a $90.00 withdrawal and manipulated the ATM.
- At 7:28pm Mitchell made a $90.00 withdrawal and manipulated the ATM.
- At 7:30pm Mitchell made a $90.00 withdrawal and the ATM debited his account as a normal
- At 7:38pm Mitchell made a $200.00 cash deposit at the RRFCU inside Central Man.
- At 7:57pm Mitchell made a $100 cash withdrawal and manipulated the ATM at 8:00pm, 8:03pmt and 8:06pm each time for $100.00.
An arrest warrant was signed December 16, 2014 by a Bowie County Magistrate. If convicted, the two men could face up to two years in prison plus a $10,000 fine.
To see all the transactions allegedly made by each man view the two complaints below.