Businessman David Haak has decided to run for Texarkana, Ark., Mayor. Haak will make it official, however, when he holds a press conference at 10 a.m. Monday at the Texarkana, Ark., City Hall, second floor boardroom.
“I am excited to share information about myself and why I have a desire to be the next mayor of Texarkana, Ark. I will share my experience, my thoughts on leadership and my vision for a better future for all who live in Texarkana, Ark. After my remarks, I will open the floor to questions,” Haak said in a press release.
Haak’s vision for Texarkana, Ark., includes:
• As Mayor, I will be one vote of seven, having no greater authority than any other board member. Through leadership, I will strive to build consensus within the city Board of Directors that will remove the divisiveness from board meetings. This will allow the board to take care of city business in a respectful, professional manner.
• I believe that all board members need training from the Arkansas Municipal League and the Arkansas Economic Development Commission. This training will allow the board to lead Texarkana, Ark., toward better government, increased economic development and growth.
• The city Board of Directors needs to implement both short and long-range plans for the development of our City.
• I will encourage the Board of Directors to implement a better method of communication between our city board and employees to the citizens that we serve.
• With the Board of Director’s input and concurrence, I will work with the city Manager to review all city departments for sound business principles to increase the overall operating efficiency of the city.
• I will lead our city Board of Directors to work with Miller County Ark., officials. Texarkana, Ark., is the largest population center in Miller County. We need to work together for the betterment of both entities. Texarkana, Ark., is in Miller County, Miller County is in Texarkana, Ark. We should cooperate as one.
• We must think regionally. I will re-establish a good working relationship with our sister city, Texarkana, Texas. We must work together to make our cities stronger.
Haak served on the Texarkana, Ark., City Council in 1996, 1997 and 1998. He was elected to the Arkansas State House of Representatives in 1998 and served there from 1999 through 2004.
As a State Representative he worked on:
• Joint Budget Committee
• Revenue & Tax Committee
• Insurance & Commerce Committee
• Public Health, Welfare & Labor Committee
• Agriculture & Economic Development Committee
• Legislative Council
• State Agencies & Government Affairs Committee
Haak was appointed by former Ark., Gov. Mike Huckabee to serve on the Arkansas Economic Development Commission from 2005 through 2008.
Haak also worked on the Texarkana, Ark., Planning & Zoning Commission in 2009 and 2010. He served as a Texarkana Chamber of Commerce board member from 2006-2008, served as Chairman of the Texarkana Chamber of Commerce in 2008 and was the Founding President of the Texarkana Arkansas Education Foundation.