Texarkana’s Animal Care & Adoption Center is hoping area residents will help Clear the Shelters this Saturday, August 17th, from 11 a.m – 2 p.m. 203 Harrison St, Texarkana, Ark.
Experts agree that owning a pet is one of the easiest ways to improve one’s overall happiness, but for a youngster, having a pet can yield life-long benefits for themselves and society in general.
For those parents sitting on the edge, here are several positive reasons you might not have thought of to bring a pet home for your kids, according to Oprah.com
- Children who grow up in homes with pets have less risk of developing common allergies and asthma.
- Playing with dogs may help lower blood pressure.
- Kids with pets get outside more—to go for walks, run and play—and enjoy all the associated health benefits.
- Pet owners require fewer doctor’s visits.
- Emerging readers often feel more comfortable reading aloud to a pet.
- Nurturing a pet is an acceptable way for boys to “parent play”—to practice being caregivers.
- Feeding and caring for a pet encourages childhood responsibility.
- Children with pets display improved impulse control, social skills and self-esteem.
- Sharing the love and care of a family pet forges an additional common bond among siblings.
- Cuddling a pet reduces stress, loneliness and anxiety.
- When a four-legged friend walks into your life, you will never walk alone again. Share your love with something that will return it back 100x.
- You or your child’s new best-friend for life is waiting for you.