Fatally stabbed Shreveport burglary suspect was key witness in Texarkana Chubby Cheeks Liquor Store lawsuit


A man who was accused of stealing liquor from Chubby Cheeks in Texarkana has died while another man recovers from injuries following a fatal stabbing in downtown Shreveport.

Just after 9:30 p.m. on December 7, 2015, Shreveport Police patrol officers were called to the intersection of McNeil Street at Caddo Street relative to a stabbing. Upon officer’s arrival at the scene, it was learned 34-year-old Westley Attaway was suffering at least one stab wound to the mid-section. According to Shreveport police Attaway was taken via ambulance to University Health where he later succumbed to his injuries.

Josh Bishop and Wesley Attaway were in Chubby Cheeks Liquor Store on Jan. 25, 2014. Bishop allegedly took a bottle of wine from the store without paying for it.

Bishop and Attaway allegedly left the store without confronting any personnel or representatives of Chubby Cheeks while in the store and then walked down the adjacent street. These men then stopped and visited with one another in a wooded section off of the road. Allen Rogers, Lane Rogers, and Sammie Townes arrived in a vehicle and confronted Attaway and Bishop.

On Oct. 1, 2014, the Estate of Josh Bishop filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Chubby Cheeks, LLC and three employees in Miller County. The complaint alleges staff of Chubby Cheeks Liquor held two alleged shoplifters at gunpoint, handcuffed, and beat them with a hammer or mallet.

The Original Complaint names Chubby Cheeks, LLC, Allen Rogers, Lane Rogers, and Sammie Townes as Defendants. The complaint further alleges that Josh Bishop, 28, died on Feb. 23, 2014 as a result of the injuries caused by the Defendants on Jan. 25, 2014.

Shreveport Police Violent Crimes detectives were notified of the incident, and responded to the scene of the incident.

Preliminary information and evidence was gathered at the scene, indicating that Attaway, just moments prior to the fatal encounter, had been the subject of an investigation, in which officials of a private security company, notified Shreveport Police regarding the man’s damaging of property at a downtown business. The man later reportedly initiated an attack on a security official, after the security officer notified the man authorities were headed to the scene.

At some point during the incident, the man managed to overpower the security official, taking him to the ground. At some point during the attack the man was stabbed by the security officer. The security officer, identified as 34 year old Tyeshom Harvey, was interviewed by Shreveport Police investigators in connection with the incident. At current, no charges have been filed in the matter, which remains in the early stages of investigation.

Previous articleTrial starts for man facing life for Taco Bell robbery
Next articleDaily Police Briefings – 12/8/15