The Women for A&M-Texarkana presented $149,000 in funding for scholarships and other major university initiatives to Texas A&M University-Texarkana today at a holiday social at the home of Texas A&M University System Regent Judy and Dr. James Morgan of Texarkana, Texas.
The funds will be used to advance the university as follows:
- Presidential Scholarship program for the remainder of the 2015-2016 academic year – $39,000 and Presidential Scholarship program for the 2016-2017 academic year – $75,000.
- Presidential Scholarships are awarded to high school graduates with a minimum ACT score of 26 and a minimum high school grade-point average of 3.65. Recipients must enroll in a minimum of 12 hours and participate in the University Honors program.
- Women for A&M-Texarkana Scholarship Fund – $10,000. The Women for A&M-Texarkana Scholarship Fund is an endowed scholarship fund that provides ongoing support for students in the form of scholarships and academic support.
- Eagle Athletics – $5,000 for scholarships and athletic equipment.
- Eagle Community Center – $20,000 toward a $100,000 pledge for the new recreation and wellness center, which will be constructed on the A&M-Texarkana campus.
“During this season of giving, the members of the Women for A&M-Texarkana are thrilled to provide these funds for student scholarships and other university programs,” said Michelle Shores, president of Women for A&M-Texarkana. “Our gifts are an investment in the future of our A&M-Texarkana students and the greater Texarkana community. We are so proud of the work of our university volunteers, students, faculty and staff. We look forward to continuing to celebrate this tradition in the future.”
LeAnne Wright, associate vice president for University Advancement, said, “We are so grateful for the generous support of the Women for A&M-Texarkana. These donations will help to advance the students in their academic careers and provide much-needed support for key university activities. It’s a great day to be a part of the Eagle community.”
Women for A&M- Texarkana is a group of over 300 women working to enhance economic development, cultural enrichment, and provide funding for scholarships and degree programs at Texas A&M University-Texarkana. Its mission is to support and promote the many ways Texas A&M University-Texarkana enhances the quality of life in northeast Texas and southwest Arkansas.