Dunbar Elementary Evacuated for Short Time due to Kitchen Fire

Staff and students were evacuated from the Paul Laurence Dunbar Early Education Center for a short time Monday morning due to a small fire in the kitchen. –

According to TISD Executive Director of Public Relations Tina Veal-Gooch around 7:50 a.m. Monday a pot on the stove at Dunbar caught fire.

“The fire was contained to the pot only and staff attempted to extinguish it by putting the lid on it. That attempt failed and 911 was called,” said Veal-Gooch. “All 60 students and 8 staff were evacuated.”

Texarkana, Texas Fire Department was quickly on scene and had the fire extinguished.

“Currently the Health Inspector is overseeing the clean-up of the contained area in the kitchen and we anticipate that lunch will run as scheduled,” said Veal-Gooch.

Previous articleSevere Weather Possible for Texarkana Area Sunday Afternoon
Next articleBCSO Arrests Two for Posession of Marijuana