Plans are underway for the Best Week Ever welcome week Aug. 22-28 at Texas A&M University-Texarkana.
Celeste McNeil, assistant director of student life at A&M-Texarkana, said the annual welcome week will include something for everyone, with events ranging from a street dance, cookout and comedy show to a bowling night, bingo and movie night. Several events are open to the general public.
One of the highlights of Best Week Ever will be the Spotlight on Texarkana from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 26, on the University Center lawn. More than 50 student organizations, banks, restaurants and other local businesses will be on hand to showcase all that Texarkana has to offer. Free frozen yogurt will be provided by Bearded Brothers Yogurt.
Three other events are free and open to the public, including a cookout and concert featuring Attic Wolves from 7-10 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 25, on the University Center deck, a performance by comedian Alingon Mitra on Thursday, Aug. 27, from 7-9 p.m. in Eagle Hall, and a movie, “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” on Friday, Aug. 28, from 8-10 p.m. on the University Center front lawn.
Attic Wolves, Kansas City folk-rock band and winner of the 2014 John Lennon Songwriting Contest, has shared the stage with The Avett Brothers, Trampled by Turtles, We the Kings and Amos Lee. Influenced by songwriters Colin Meloy, Bob Dylan and Paul Simon, Attic Wolves’ three-part harmonies and musicality make it one of the most popular touring bands among college and university students.
Alingon Mitra was one of only 100 comedians invited to perform on the remake of NBC’s ”Last Comic Standing” and went on to be the winner of the show’s Comic Comeback contest. Chosen a fan favorite in the semifinal round, Alingon then won the public vote five weeks in a row to perform on the finale. He has since been invited to do stand up on “Conan,” “The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson” and “Adam Devine’s House Party” on Comedy Central. A writer for the humor magazine The Harvard Lampoon, Alingon has won both the Boston Comedy Festival and the “Funniest Comic in New England” contest.
“Avengers: Age of Ultron,” the 2015 sequel to the 2012 mega-hit “The Avengers,” features the Marvel Comics superhero team and is the 11th installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
The complete schedule of events for Best Week Ever is as follows:
Saturday, Aug. 22
- 7-8:30 p.m. Playfair, the ultimate icebreaker – Eagle Soccer Field
Required for all new freshmen.
- 8:30-10 p.m. Street Dance – Bringle Lake Village
Sunday, Aug. 23
- 7-9 p.m. A&M-Texarkana Bowling Night College Bowl, 2424 College Drive, Texarkana, Texas Complimentary bowling and shoes for A&M-Texarkana students.
Monday, Aug. 24
- 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Names and Faces with Pippi and Jeff – University Center Lounge
Free caricatures and drawings.
- 10-11 a.m. “Party Like a Pirate” – John F. Moss Library, University Center Third Floor Scavenger hunt, prizes and social.
- 3-4 p.m. Greek Life Informational Session – University Center 210
- 7-8:30 p.m. “Take Back College” with speaker Ryan Penneau – Eagle Hall Mandatory for all new freshmen.
Tuesday, Aug. 25
- 12-2 p.m. Student Employment/Career Exploration Luncheon – University Center 217
- 2-4 p.m. Tie Dye-Versity hosted by Spectrum – Eagle Hall Create a tie-dyed shirt.
- 4-6 p.m. STEM Information Session – STEM 101 Mandatory event for all freshmen and transfer students declaring a STEM major.
- 5:30-7 p.m. Criminal Justice Social – Library New, transfer and current students will have an opportunity to meet the faculty and their class peers.
- 7-10 p.m. Attic Wolves (concert and cookout) – University Center Deck Free and open to the public.
Wednesday, Aug. 26
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Spotlight on Texarkana – University Center Front Lawn
Free and open to the public.
- 3-4 p.m. Intramural Sports Overview – University Center 210
- 4-6 p.m. Big Money Bingo – Eagle Hall
Thursday, Aug. 27
- 12-1 p.m. First-Year Experience Financial Literacy Workshop – University Center 217
- 1-3 p.m. Success Center Open House – University Center 330
- 3-5 p.m. First-Year Experience Happy Hour Trivia – Eagle Hall
- 7-9 p.m. Comedian Alingon Mitra – Eagle Hall Free and open to the public.
Friday, Aug. 28
- 12-1 p.m. “How to Start a Student Organization” – University Center 210
- 1-2 p.m. Club Officer Orientation – University Center 210
- 8-10 p.m. “Avengers: Age of Ultron” – University Center Front Lawn Free and open to the public. Free popcorn and cotton candy for movie-goers.